Re-Living Christmas: Cherished moments and memories #17

Mikele De Souza on Unsplash
When I was little
I was rich.
I had my own chicken,
My own goats and cows,
Rabbits and turkeys.
I had my own bananas,
Passion fruits and yams.
I was rich!
I don’t know exactly when or how
This wealth left me,
But i certainly remember how I acquired it.
Whenever I would go visiting
One of my grannies or uncles,
It was customary for them
To give me a present
To take home -
Usually, a chicken.
Henceforth, that chicken became ‘mine’,
Together with its eggs and chicks.
Often, I fell head over heels in love,
As children usually do,
With the young-lings of farm animals.
When this happened,
And perhaps, as way of teaching me farming,
My Mum would ‘gift’ the young-ling to me,
Making it ‘mine’, from that day on.
Other times, I would be given a seedling
To plant,
Making that plant and its fruits ‘mine’.
That’s how I came to be a ‘wealthy’ little boss
Back then.
I knew all my wealth
Like a shepherd knows his stock.
And they likewise knew me
Especially the farm animals.
You should have been there
To see how they responded my voice and touch!
Adorable!
I still remember how beautiful it felt
To have the cat purring on my lap
By the kitchen fire,
And how soft the fur felt, on my hands.
Magical!
I looked after them and tended to them
With the dotting affection of a child,
And they gave back in kind, beauty and playfulness.
That’s why my heart would be torn in shreds
During Christmas
Because a goat
And some chicken,
Would have to be on the table,
On Christmas Day.
My constant prayer then was
‘Please, please,
Let it not be one of ‘mine’
This Christmas.’

* Follow us in this “Re-living Christmas’ series, to catch a glimpse of cherished moments and memories of our time.
**The poems will come to you every Wednesday and Saturday. Check the number (#) in case miss anything.

Comments

Archive

Contact Form

Send