THIS IS HOW BEING IN CONSTANT SURVIVAL MODE AFFECTS US!

 


It feels like uncertainty has multiplied ten-fold in 2022.

There are global supply constraints,

Prices of essential commodities are rising through the roof,

A scorching economy, job freezes and massive layoffs,

Changing weather patterns and drought,

Geo-political posturing,

A looming global recession …and the list goes on.

 

We know uncertainty leads to stress and locks us in a vicious survival mode.

We came across this post by Dushka Zapata 

On the effects of being on constant survival mode,

And thought it good to reproduce it here, to help us understand

What we, and those around us, might be going through.

Our hope is that reading through it you’ll see the traps that lie ahead,

And that this will help you cope, and understand others better,

…because our humanity rests on shared understanding, kindness and compassion.

 

“Being in survival mode means living for a long period of time

convinced that I am in imminent danger.

 

What happens to my body and my mind if I am certain that I am never safe,

that something terrible is about to happen?

 

I forgo anything my system interprets as a luxury.

No joy. No creativity. No creation of friendships. No elevation of relationships.

No taking my time. No deep breaths. No search for something better.

My whole focus is on one thing: staying alive.

My body has one priority: to protect me.

 

What does this look like?

 

I feel anxious all the time

I feel depressed

I feel exhausted

I cannot sleep

I can't focus

My behavior is impulsive, erratic

I don't take care of basic needs (how can I do laundry if I am trying to survive over here?)

I can’t do complex things like solve problems

I cannot be creative, take time to write or paint or make something beautiful

I have issues with my digestive system

If I am not dealing with dramatic situations, I feel oddly bored, like my life lacks thrill, excitement. (This is because stress hormones are addictive so I interpret healthy behaviors as lacking zest or even passion.)

 

Mentally -

I think I’m in danger so I’m on the lookout for danger.

This messes with my ability to interpret the world,

makes me hyper vigilant and prone to overreacting,

like a faulty trigger that’s too sensitive.

Put in other words, I perceive things that are not really there. (She doesn’t like me. She talks about me behind my back. This guy is going to betray me. My friend is messing with me.)

I have issues with trust

I am jumpy, easily startled.

I never feel safe (let me go check again if every door is locked.)

I want to control everything, which results in obsessive behavior,

micromanaging, 

making a big deal out of small things

I interpret everything as a crisis, as urgent

I feel angry, irritable, critical, prone to outbursts -

raising my voice, slamming the door.

People who look “normal” to you feel to me like they are out to get me

I am too quick to react, very defensive and likely to say things I later regret

I can’t listen

I can’t think

I can't pause

I can’t make room for another person’s perspective

I find it impossible to set boundaries, attempting to find validation or approval instead of saying no

Seeing someone as an enemy when the person is just trying to talk to me (Oh hi - WHAT? WHAT DO YOU WANT!?)

Finding it impossible to distinguish my own stress from real danger.

 

Coming out of survival mode takes time and work and involves regularly, consistently doing things that prove to my system that we are safe: 

self-care,

silence, 

deep breaths, 

eating well, 

self-compassion, 

prioritizing sleep  -

again, and again, and again.”

 

Wishing you the best as we ride this storm.

Try to stay within your circle of influence. Let go the rest.

All will be well.

 

Comments

Archive

Contact Form

Send