Re-Living Christmas: Cherished moments and memories #3

Photo by Danielle Dolson on Unsplash
One of the things I remember
Loving most
About the Christmas holidays
Was sleeping late
And waking up late
Without bells ringing in my ears.
It was just about the only time
Of the year
When I didn’t have to worry
About school -
The last class being a distant memory
And the next class being a distant future.
It was just about the only time
When I would be allowed to watch as much TV as I wanted
And stay up late into the night
without worrying about waking time.
It always felt good to repay myself
All those reluctant evenings
and early cold mornings
of the school going days.
But, to me, the best time of it all
Was when the short rains came.
It’s our tropical version of winter…
And one of my treasured memories
Is the pattering sound of raindrops on our tin roof —
Loud enough to shut all but essential conversation,
And sensual enough to envelop you in a cocoon of your own comfort.
It always reminded me of Mum,
Or my elder sister,
Patting and soothing me to sleep.
Surely, this must be the feeling
That Don Williams must had in mind
When he sang about
The rhythm
Of the falling rain.
To this day,
The sound of raindrops
Is the only excuse I need
To snuggle
Or get under the covers.
*Follow us in the next two months, in this “Re-living Christmas’ series, to catch a glimpse of cherished moments and memories of our time.
**The poems will come to you every Wednesday and Saturday. Check the number (#) in case miss anything.

Comments

Archive

Contact Form

Send