Re-Living Christmas: Cherished moments and memories #6

Photo by Angela Wolz on Unsplash
A couple of years back
I happened to be in western City
In late October, on assignment.
As I was exploring the City
I noticed something weird
That I had not seen anywhere before.
At the front porch of most houses
Was a huge orange pumpkin (couldn’t tell if it was real or a replica),
And an eerie looking mask, skeleton, clown
Or caricature of some monster.
Some houses had monstrous spiders
Scaling their walls!
It was like a scene from a horror movie!
Witches…I thought!
But it can’t be all of them, I reasoned.
I texted home excitedly,
That I was in a strange City of weirdos.
‘That’s called Halloween’, came the reply.
‘Oh, what’s that?’ I asked.
‘I can’t explain it…I only know
It’s celebrated sometimes in November.
You’ll be lucky to see it.’
And sure enough
On the night of the last day of October,
There was the most amazing street costume parade
I’ve ever seen.
I walked the street for hours
Lost in the sea and throng of revelers
Marveling at it all.
Most of the costume was ghastly and hideous,
Some was lustfully sexy
And some was freakish, completely out-of-this-world!
And as I went to sleep that night
A question nagged at me,
And has nagged me ever since:
‘What really is Halloween?
And why have we never
Celebrated it in our home?’
*Follow us in the next two months, in this “Re-living Christmas’ series, to catch a glimpse of cherished moments and memories of our time.
**The poems will come to you every Wednesday and Saturday. Check the number (#) in case miss anything.

Comments

Archive

Contact Form

Send