Words that caught me: D is for 'Don't Make Waiting a Habit!'


There is this nice pair of hiking boots
I bought in some city
A few years back.
I’ve used it twice on two amazing mountains -
Kilimanjaro and Mt. Meru, both in Tanzania.
Both very scenic.

But I’ve not worn them for almost 4 years now.
They have been on the shoe rack
Waiting for my next hike,
Waiting for young one to get to hiking age,
Waiting for my mate to get ready,
Waiting for my tour guide to call,
Waiting for me to find time.

A few weeks back,
When the heavens opened for the longest time,
I sought them out,
Because I needed something that could comfortably go ankle deep
And I didn’t have a better option.

Save for their ashen appearance,
The boots looked okay,
Like they have always looked on that shoe rack.
I brushed them and applied some cream,
And went on my way.

After finishing my errand
I bent down to remove them,
And that’s when I noticed
The sad truth.

While I’ve been waiting to wear them,
The boots have not been waiting for me.
They had grown tired of waiting to be worn
And the leather was cracking away, from lack of wear.

I had waited for so long.
They had waited for so long.
We both had waited for so long.
And when we needed each other, it was too late!

How long have you been waiting?
How long will you continue waiting?
Who or what is getting tired of your waiting?

Comments

Archive

Contact Form

Send