Words that caught me: T is for Twists and Turns

 


Hi there?

How are you doing?

I'm great. I hope you are too.

 

I got this in my mail a week or so ago,

And it stopped me in my tracks.

It said: "If it 'works as planned'...

You aren't chasing anything interesting."

 

I hope that stops you on your tracks too.

It should.

 

Think about it for a moment.

Go over your mind all the interesting stuff

You’ve thought up and executed lately.

Which of those plans went linearly as expected?

 

No. I don’t think it does away with good planning.

In fact, it calls for better planning –

One that takes into account the unexpected.

 

And it also means that we have to learn a new skill –

One that stops us from our instinctual response

Of frustration and disappointment

Whenever twists and turns come visiting;

Coz' it seems like they are baked

Into anything and everything 'interesting'.

 

Embracing the unexpected won’t be easy, but…

I pray I remember this,

When I next spill coffee on myself

Coz' the little one unexpectedly decided to reach out for something.

I hope I remember this,

When I next get an unusual guest request.

I hope I remember this,

When my kids break something.

I hope I remember this,

When the package doesn't arrive on time.

I hope I remember this,

When my colleague starts acting funny.

I pray and hope I remember this,

Whenever anything goes as planned!

 

It's funny…may be a tad inconvenient…

But that’s just how 'interesting' works!

 

*Inspired by the above quote by Tom Peters

Comments

Archive

Contact Form

Send